Website Sterling Valley Community Church
Meeting God in the Valley
Our congregation has a 185-year-old presence in Sterling Valley, NY. We are located just outside
of Oswego, and close to Syracuse, Auburn, and Rochester. We have a sanctuary with seating for 100,
multiple Sunday school rooms, a kitchen, dining room, conference room, pastor’s office, counseling
room, and plenty of quiet country fresh air.
The folks that make up our congregation come from various careers which include farming,
contractors, businessmen, and teachers. Many in our church family are seniors, but our blend of
traditional and contemporary styles has joyful kids enjoying the message as well.
Our congregation participates in Sunday morning service at 9:30am, Good Friday, and a service
on Christmas Eve. We also host a mid-week Bible study in the evening. Our church currently supports
various missionaries and local charities.
Sterling Valley Community Church has a comprehensive set of bylaws. The Pastor has primary
authority, but the Elders and Trustees complete the decision-making process.
Specific Responsibilities of Pastor
• Engage with the congregation in individual and small group settings with the intent expressed in
2 Tim 2:2
• Provide leadership to enable the formation of such groups, led by other qualified members of
• Assist members of the congregation in structured one on one sessions as they may have need of
counsel for matters of difficulty in their lives
Teaching and Preaching
• Prepare and preach biblically faithful, relevant, expository sermons for the Sunday morning
• Prepare and lead a variety of small groups and classes, such as discipleship, leadership training,
shepherding, Bible literacy
• Pray regularly for the congregation
• Provide counsel and spiritual direction to members of the congregation as needed
• Be an example to the flock in life and ministry
• Make hospital and home visits
• Conduct premarital, vocational, family, bereavement, counseling sessions, etc., as needed.
When necessary, we will recommend other professional help.
• Along with the Elders, address all church discipline matters and the management of conflict
issues within the congregation
• Engage in local and global missions; encourage the congregation to be involved in the lives and
ministries of those missionaries
• Creatively reach out and be active with in our local community
• Build relationship with businesses, community leaders, and local parachurch organizations
• Lead the congregation in effective programs to fulfill the Great Commission with vision,
purpose, and priority
• Plan, lead and demonstrate effective ways to witness and win the lost to salvation through Jesus
• Assist with the assimilation of new attendees to ensure a continued loving environment in the
• Participate in regular leadership meetings
• Stay current with church ministry through reading, leadership conferences, etc.
o Lead and organize effective programs that help congregants connect in community,
grow in maturity, serve using their gifts, and share their faith
o Practice good stewardship of church funds, including involvement in giving campaigns
o Work with church leadership to develop an annual budget
Education and Experience
• Preferred bachelor’s degree or diploma in theology, biblical studies, pastoral ministry or a
related filed from a college, university, or seminary.
• Preferred experience serving as Pastor or Associate Pastor or other related ministry with similar
Personal & Ministry Qualities
• Meets character requirements for elders as found in 1 Tim 3:1-7, and Titus
Time and Travel Requirements
• Part-time, with Full-time potential
Modest Salary, commensurate with Pastor’s duties and responsibilities
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com