Website Community Church
Community Church – Topeka, Kansas
Senior Pastor Job Description – July 25, 2020
Job Title: Senior Pastor
Reports To: The Elders
Position Status: Full‐Time
The role of the Senior Pastor at Community Church is to assist the Elders in overseeing the life and direction of the church, and the Senior Pastor is responsible to the church for proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ. The Senior Pastor will have a firm grasp on the purpose, values and strategy of the church and the ability to align ordained and lay staff and key leadership teams with its mission. The Senior Pastor will offer pastoral leadership to the congregation alongside clergy and lay ministers. The Senior Pastor will ensure that the systems, practices, and policies of the church responsibly and effectively support its ministry activities.
Scriptural References of pastoral qualifications and ministry:
11 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
Also see II Timothy 4:2-5 and I Peter 5:1-3.
The Senior Pastor must meet the elder qualifications as outlined in 1 Timothy 3: 1-7 and Titus 1:5-9. The Senior Pastor must also be a gifted teacher of the Bible, a pastor of good reputation, a proven leader, and a man who is passionate about the mission, strategy, principles, and beliefs of Community Church. The Senior Pastor shall be filled with the Spirit and shall believe in and exercise gifts of the Holy Spirit as seen in 1 Corinthians 12.
The senior pastor must have a passion for exegetical, expositional, verse-by-verse study and teaching of God’s Word. He must also have a clear understanding of grace and a passion to reach the lost. He must model compassion, empathy, humility, and an active personal relationship with God that is demonstrated through his love of others.
The senior pastor must have a passion for discipleship and an ability to lead towards it continually. He must have a willingness to delegate ministry to others. He must be a man who promotes unity and is not divisive.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Preaching and teaching: The Senior Pastor is the primary teacher of the Bible. He is passionate about scripture, and dedicated to studying, interpreting, and teaching it exegetically.
2. Evaluation, review and update of the vision, purpose, and mission statement of Community Church: In partnership with the elders and members of Community Church, it is recognized that a Senior Pastor called to the vacancy in 2020 needs to lead the church in seeking God together for a renewed vision for the church, including the possible creation of a vision statement and/or mission statement.
3. Strategic leadership and planning: The Senior Pastor is responsible for strategic planning and staff coordination in the execution of the church’s purpose. The Senior Pastor will define strategic goals and vision as a key leader among staff and elders.
4. Staff supervision and development: The Senior Pastor serves as director to ordained and lay staff and lay volunteers, and leads, evaluates, and mentors existing staff in their respective areas of ministry.
5. Administration: The Senior Pastor oversees and executes the administration of the church through appropriate staff and lay leadership teams, and ensures the completion of ministry, business, facility, and logistical support functions through staff and lay volunteers. This includes oversight of church computer software. He must oversee the pastoral care needs of the congregation and, as necessary, share with other ordained and lay ministers in hospital visitation, home visits, counseling, marriages and funerals.
- He shall give himself to prayer and the study of the Word of God.
- He shall serve as an overseer and shepherd with ultimate responsibility for the leadership and spiritual ministry of the church, including the supervision of the pulpit;
- He shall preach regularly at the church services and direct the administering of the ordinances,
- He shall officiate at Christian weddings, memorial services, funerals, and other occasions that usually fall to the Senior Pastor;
- He shall work in conjunction and harmony with the other Elders in coordinating and conducting the entire church program;
- He shall be responsible for all other duties common to the office of the Senior Pastor.
- He shall actively seek to raise up and train other men to be Pastors / Elders.
- He shall lead the church in proclaiming the gospel to the church and community.
- He shall conduct premarital, vocational, family and bereavement counseling sessions, etc., as needed, including advising other professional help when necessary.
- He shall serve as a representative of the church in community and civic matters.
Education and Experience
It is preferred that the Senior Pastor has completed some type of formal Bible education, and he should have at least some measure of pastoral experience.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com